Sunday, February 8, 2015

KD1JV PFR-3 transmitter

I always wanted to try making making a cw transmitter like the one in KD1JV's PFR-3. It looks so simple. Steve uses the square wave comparator output of the AD9834 into an *74HC02 quad nand gate to buffer the output into 3 paralled BS170's. Since the Si5351 already puts out a square wave - why not? A quick test gave me 4 watts into a dummy load. I added a 40M LPF because I plan to lash this up with an already built CRX1 since it has some nice built-in conveniences, like TX/RX switching, muting and a nice twin-T sidetone oscillator.
Spectral plot of output.





Below is the finished product.

Receiver/Transmitter

Front Panel



Etherkit Si5351 breakout board
Close-up of transmitter

2 comments:

  1. Do you have a schematic of just this showing Si5351 inputs and keying inputs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michael,
    The schematic is referenced in the text. It is not mine to reproduce. The only thing that I didn't include in the photo is the keying part. Steve uses an FQPF7P06 that handles the current to the BS170's and as you can see, it is turned on by a 2N7000 keyed by the microprocessor. My thinking was that I could skip those parts and key by turning on or off the output of the Si5351 while leaving +12V on the BS170's. I don't think Steve is able to that with the output he is using on the AD9834, which I believe is always on.
    The proof is in the pudding, however. I've yet to try it my way but I did buy a few FQPF7P06's just in case.:)

    ReplyDelete